As married men and women, I think we all can agree that we experience rather frustrating shopping experiences from time to time. She can’t decide what she wants, she spends too much, and he won’t shut up about how long she’s taking to shop. Or perhaps, it’s the other way around in your relationship. He can’t decide what he wants, and she has no patience. Neither of you can decipher your needs and wants. Your need may be a gown or suit for an upcoming event, but your want is that Dior gown or Ralph Lauren suit. We have good news, people- you can be fixed! No one likes going shopping with good intentions then getting frustrated and leaving empty-handed. With these 5 tips for happier shopping with your spouse, you can ensure a greater shopping experience with your fashionable lover:
- Ditch the Plastic If you have an issue with overspending, a great way to overcome this is by leaving your credit/debit cards at home. Set a shopping budget, and only carry the amount of cash you have allotted to that budget. Oh, and here’s one mini-tip: don’t get sucked in by the coupons and sales! If you’re like me, you will forget your budget and buy things just because they are on sale. Then before you know it, you’re out of cash! This leads to all types of buyer’s regret and an unhappy spouse… wah wah wahhhh…
- Set a Store Schedule If you know you have to go shopping to buy something you need, sit with your spouse to schedule which stores you are going to hit and determine the total amount of time you want to spend shopping. If you go to a mall where one of you can shop in your favorite store while the other shops in their favorite store, set a time limit. Move on to the next store if you don’t find what you need in that time limit. Disclaimer: You might need a massage after all of this intense brain work and exercise.
- Shop at Stores You Both Enjoy It is understandable that this may not always be possible, but try to do it as much as you can. This way, neither of you have to feel like you’re dragging the other along for the most depressing motha-lovin’ shopping trip of all time.
- Online Shopping is Your Friend If you’re like me, you still prefer to physically try on your clothes, but it doesn’t hurt to do some online shopping before you hit the brick-and-mortar shops. Shop online beforehand to find which stores have things you like and make sure your closest store has those items in stock.This will cut down on the frustration caused by spending too much time in a store because you have no idea on God’s green earth what you’re looking for.
- Have fun and Stay Open-Minded If you have time to simply enjoy shopping together without the pressure of finding something you need, then have some fun! Help each other pick outfits you’d like to see each other wear. Pick out things you would never wear, and have some fun in the dressing rooms. Take some awesomely hilarious selfies together! Touching back on the needs and wants, make sure you keep an open mind. Remember your needs first, and understand that just because something is name brand doesn’t mean it’s going to look better on you than something that is off brand.
We hope these 5 tips are helpful. O and I always enjoy helping each other pick outfits. He’s the only man for whom I’ll dress to impress! If you have a topic in mind that you would like for me to address, feel free to shoot me a message on the contact page. I look forward to reading your comments!